Associate Director (Educational Program Manager 2), Connecticut Small Business Development Center
The Connecticut Small Business Development Center is seeking a full-time Associate Director. The incumbent will report to the CTSBDC State Director and will assist in managing program operations, specifically in supervision and support to its business advisors who work directly with small business owners and entrepreneurs throughout the state. This position helps ensure CTSBDC and any of its subcontractors and collaborating partners are effectively delivering advising, education, and other services to small businesses that results in economic impact expected by program funders. The incumbent also ensures that the CTSBDC advising component is productive, and accountable for results and complies with regulations and policies of federal and state stakeholders and our host university. The position will be located in East Hartford, CT. In-state and out-of-state travel as well as evening and weekend hours will be required in support of center events and activities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include but are not limited to:
- Providing management support to CTSBDC business advisors and consultants or contractors who may provide similar services, and monitoring advisor and consultant progress on team and individual program output, community engagement, and professional development goals.
- Providing guidance and support to advisors, and others as required. Onboarding new advisors as necessary according to CTSBDC policies and procedures and regularly updating documentation of these policies and procedures, regarding advising and client management as well as other activities.
- In accordance with CTSBDC goals and objectives, overseeing CTSBDC coordination and logistics of advisors; preparing necessary reports; resolving problems and making changes to accommodate changing priorities and client needs.
- Evaluating advisors’ performance against established goals and in consultation with the State Director performs annual evaluations of advisors and consultants.
- Initiating and sustaining relationships with stakeholders and influencers who can help CTSBDC meet its strategic objectives and sustain its programming to small businesses and entrepreneurs. Developing and implementing outreach to elected and appointed public officials and private sector leaders. Maintaining operational relations with key collaborating organizations, public and private.
- Assisting in conceiving and developing programs and resources to support effective advising; including services that will attract prospective clients, benefit existing clients, and help advisors be effective counselors.
- Working in close conjunction with the State Director in the analysis and development of policy matters, fiscal affairs, grant and contract compliance, program management, stakeholder relations, and program advocacy.
- Providing input on CTSBDC’s strategic planning process, service delivery model, training components, and reporting tools and procedures. Supporting the State Director in preparing for program accreditation review by preparing operational review summaries and key performance indicator (KPI) reports required by its national association.
- In conjunction with the State Director, resolving personnel issues and ensuring compliance with all federal and state laws, and federal, state, and UConn policies and regulations.
- Coordinating, directing, and assisting in the development of the workflow concerning the data entry and administrative paperwork associated with client advising records and client support services, as well as related fiscal and personnel records.
- Identifying, developing, and supporting applications for sponsorship or other funding support for CTSBDC, including competitive or non-competitive grants and financial sponsorship gifts by commercial, public, or non-profit entities.
- Providing recommendations and participating in the development and delivery of marketing strategies and plans to promote and market the CTSBDC services, its mission, and objectives. Assisting in coordinating and supervising communications staff.
- Attending professional trade shows and association events to promote CTSBDC throughout the state and to identify new opportunities to bring resources into the program.
- Master’s degree in business or related field and at least five years of relevant experience including one year overseeing large projects or in a supervisory capacity over a small unit.
- Demonstrated experience in entrepreneurship, consulting client management, sales or sales management, or management of programs providing consulting or technical services; has a working knowledge of topics including budgeting and strategic planning, financing, and small business management.
- Demonstrated excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with clients, faculty, staff, students, and administrators as well as external constituents, agencies, groups, and the public.
- Demonstrated experience effectively supervising a team of employees.
- Proven knowledge of Connecticut's economy and business communities.
- Demonstrated experience using, managing, and analyzing data and reporting from a CRM system.
- Demonstrated proficiency integrating new and emerging technology to improve service delivery quality and efficiency.
- Dependable transportation and willingness & ability to work flexible hours and travel in-state and out-of-state as needed.
- Seven years of consulting or sales management experience.
- Master’s degree in business or related field.
- Demonstrated experience in a consulting practice and/or experience recruiting clients.
- Proven public speaking experience.
This is a full-time, end-date, annually renewable position based in East Hartford, CT. Other rights, terms, and conditions of employment are contained in the collective bargaining agreement between the University of Connecticut and the University of Connecticut Professional Employees Association (UCPEA).
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #496978 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on November 21, 2022.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.