Oregon State University
Department: Admin Technologies (JIS)
Appointment Type: Classified Staff
Job Location: Corvallis
Recommended Full-Time Salary Range:
This recruitment will be used to fill one full-time Analyst Programmer, competency level 3, position for University Information Technologies at Oregon State University (OSU).
This is a limited duration appointment expected to last until August 31, 2025.
The incumbent will report to the Director of Administrative Technologies and will work as part of a team to support the Administrative Modernization Program (AMP) as OSU works to modernize its business processes and IT Landscape. The incumbent will provide expert analysis and programming support for administrative information systems utilizing formalized application development, system administration and project management methodologies and tools.
The incumbent will be responsible for maintaining the OSU Reimbursements (OSUR) and Scholarships systemand the Grant Reporting System (GRS). Duties include support, software development and system administration to maintain and operate Java application codebases deployed on Linux and backed by multiple databases. Additional duties include project and task prioritization, technical leadership across multiple project and work streams and expert skills in every area of the software development lifecycle to develop and operate a web-based reporting application. The incumbent will need to be able to anticipate critical issues, propose solutions, and successfully resolve complex technical and business process issues. A critical, overarching duty is to ensure the secure management of information security aspects such as PII, FERPA, and other sensitive data within the environment. This position will support AMP while the University works to modernize and streamline its business processes and IT landscape.
Data Statement: UIT has a commitment to deliver data as a strategic working asset and to enable data informed decision making across OSU. UIT leaders and staff will lead by example and use data to inform decision making at all levels in the organization. Persons in technology roles are also expected to design systems with data portability in mind and work within enterprise architecture and privacy guidelines.
Security Statement: Proactively securing and protecting OSU's digital assets and information systems is crucial to our missions of teaching and learning, research, and outreach and engagement. All OSU IT professionals have a direct responsibility to provision high quality and secure IT systems and services. Persons in technology roles are expected to be responsive to security related actions and requirements, and to collaborate to find secure ways to support the OSU community.
DEI Statement : UIT has a deep commitment to and belief in the strength and value of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) both throughout our team and as an intentional and active practice to advance the vision, mission, and strategic efforts of the entire university. As a member of the UIT community, the person in this position is expected to foster and promote the values of DEI and demonstrate a commitment to inclusive excellence in their work.
Working for Oregon State University is so much more than a job!
Oregon State University is a dynamic community of dreamers, doers, problem-solvers and change-makers. We don’t wait for challenges to present themselves — we seek them out and take them on. We welcome students, faculty and staff from every background and perspective into a community where everyone feels seen and heard. We have deep-rooted mindfulness for the natural world and all who depend on it, and together, we apply knowledge, tools and skills to build a better future for all.
- Top 1.4% university in the world
- More research funding than all public universities in Oregon combined
- 1 of 3 land, sea, space and sun grant universities in the U.S.
- 2 campuses, 11 colleges, 12 experiment stations, and Extension programs in all 36 counties
- 7 cultural resource centers that offer education, celebration and belonging for everyone
- 100+ undergraduate degree programs, 80+ graduate degrees plus hundreds of minor options and certificates
- 35k+ students including more than 2.3k international students and 10k students of color
- 217k+ alumni worldwide
- For more interesting facts about OSU visit: https://oregonstate.edu/about
Oregon State has a statewide presence with campuses in Corvallis and Bend, the OSU Portland Center and the Hatfield Marine Science Center on the Pacific Coast in Newport.
Oregon State’s beautiful, historic and state-of-the-art main campus is located in one of America’s best college towns. Corvallis is located close to the Pacific Ocean, the Cascade mountains and Oregon wine country. Nestled in the heart of the Willamette Valley, this beautiful city offers miles of mountain biking and hiking trails, a river perfect for boating or kayaking and an eclectic downtown featuring local cuisine, popular events and performances.
Total Rewards Package:
Oregon State University offers a https://hr.oregonstate.edu/benefits/prospective-employee with benefits eligible positions that is designed to meet the needs of employees and their families including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Basic Life. OSU pays 95% of premiums for you and your eligible dependents.
- Free confidential mental health and emotional support services, and counseling resources.
- Retirement savings paid by the university.
- A generous paid leave package, including holidays, vacation and sick leave.
- Tuition reduction benefits for you or your qualifying dependents at OSU or the additional six Oregon Public Universities.
- Robust Work Life programs including Dual Career assistance resources, flexible work arrangements, a Family Resource Center, Affinity Groups and an Employee Assistance Program.
Future and current OSU employees can use the https://hr.oregonstate.edu/benefits/new-employees/benefits-calculator to learn more about the full value of the benefits provided at OSU.
40% — Systems Analysis and Design
- Apply in-depth programming, systems design and database administration knowledge to analyze user system and application needs, determine and evaluate alternative solutions and approaches to
meeting those needs, and select the optimal technology solution
- Maintain an established application codebase to meet stakeholder requirements and ensure production operations
- Provide the analysis, design, code and documentation for enhancements necessary for the improvement of business processes
- Assess user needs, consult, and communicate / translate technology systems and solutions to business users
- Develop requirements, estimate effort, develop work breakdowns, and complete assigned tasks as schedule
- Collaborate with user communities to analyze, troubleshoot and resolve issues
- Write supporting documentation for application and system changes
- Responsible for application design, peer code reviews, code quality assurance testing, version management, code migration, and building and performing test cases
45% — Software Development & Operations
- Develop succinct, timely programming code or modify existing software following OSU coding standards
- Test bug fixes and other application and system changes in a test environment
- Deploy bug fixes and other application and system changes to production while minimizing downtime
- Schedule and coordinate communications to the user community ahead of application maintenance
- Deploy application reporting products to a report server
- Monitor application, web, and report server logs
- Monitor application uptime and system performance metrics
- Administer application database schema
- Manage user account and role-based security configurations
5% — Security Operations
- Monitor security advisories from the Office of Information Security (OIS) and industry sources for relevant software applications, code libraries, and operating systems
- Plan and apply security updates to relevant software applications, code libraries, and operating systems
- Assist in establishing requirements, methods, and procedures for routine security-related maintenance
10% — Administrative Computing Team Participation
- Engage as a member of the Administrative Computing Team by attending team meetings, participating in team decision making, implementing solutions to team problems, and assisting with other team functions.
- Other duties as assigned
What You Will Need
- Experience writing code in ASP.NET, Visual Basic .NET and Java-based technologies such as JDK, Java Server Pages (JSP), Apache Struts, Hibernate ORM, and Tomcat
- Experience writing, testing, and tuning SQL queries
- Experience working with Microsoft SQL Server databases
- Experience working with customers to resolve complex technical and business problems
- Ability to use Linux application software, data structures and utilities, Linux operating system
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and verbal forms with a diverse set of stakeholders and customers
- Ability to use appropriate productivity and version control tools to support application development
- Knowledge of systems/software development lifecycle concepts and practices
- Knowledge of project management practices
- This position is designated as a critical or security-sensitive position; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a criminal history check and be determined to be position qualified as per University Standard: 05-010 et seq. Incumbents are required to self-report convictions and those in youth programs may have additional criminal history checks every 24 months.
- A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity.
What We Would Like You to Have
- Knowledge of OSU financial practices including fund accounting, FOAPAL elements, and sponsored research (grants).
- Experience developing software to support financial or accounting business processes
- Experience with Ellucian Banner or other financial ERP systems
- Experience working with virtual machines in a VMware or Amazon Web Services (AWS) environment
- Experience working with infrastructure-as-code technologies such as Ansible and Terraform
Working Conditions / Work Schedule
Special Instructions to Applicants
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by 09/05/2023. Applications will continue to be accepted after the full consideration date, until a sufficient applicant pool has been achieved or the position is filled. The closing date is subject to change without notice to applicants.
Applications will be reviewed based on the information submitted on the employment profile with education and work history along with any other requested documentation i.e. posting specific question responses, transcripts, etc. Your profile MUST clearly show how you meet the minimum/required qualifications for the position. Resumes are NOT accepted at the application stage for classified staff positions.
Equivalent required experience is based on full-time equivalent (40 hours per week).
If you are using relevant volunteer experience to meet minimum qualifications, please include this information in the Employment History section of the application.
Typically, the starting salary is at the lower end of the salary range.
For additional information please contact: Chris Young at firstname.lastname@example.org
OSU commits to inclusive excellence by advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
OSU will conduct a review of the National Sex Offender Public website prior to hire.
This position is designated as a critical or security-sensitive position; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a Criminal History Check and be determined to be position qualified as per University Standard 05-010 et seq. Incumbents are required to self-report convictions and those in Youth Programs may have additional Criminal History Checks every 24 months. Offers of employment are contingent upon meeting all minimum qualifications including the Criminal History Check Requirement.
To apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/4558019
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.