Dean of Health Professions
Dean of Health Professions
New River Community College (NRCC) is a comprehensive community college located in the New River Valley of Virginia. At NRCC you can prepare for the future with any of our various occupational programs or college transfer courses. NRCC faculty members are well known not just for their academic background, but also for their capacity to work closely and effectively with students. You’ll find that they have a genuine interest in your success. They also have excellent academic credentials. All faculty who teach college transfer courses have doctorates or master’s degrees, while those in occupational programs have a diverse background which combines academics with practical on-the-job experience. In recent years individual professors and college programs have received state and national awards for their quality.
The position will report to the Vice President for Instruction and Student Services with responsibility for leading and managing the Division of Health Professions. Primary duties will include:
- Mentoring, supervising, and evaluating full-time and adjunct faculty, including screening and recommending new faculty.
- Promoting faculty and staff development and growth.
- Ensuring nursing, allied health, emergency medical services, etc. programs comply with all national and state laws, regulations, state regulatory agencies and accrediting bodies.
- Serving as the program director for the associate degree in nursing, practical nursing, and certified nurse assistant programs.
- Coordinating the development and submission of required state regulatory and accrediting agencies reports.
- Managing curriculum development and leading faculty in the determination of programs and course offerings.
- Managing division productivity and preparing master course schedules.
- Managing the dual enrollment program for the division including fostering and enhancing partnerships with public schools.
- Providing leadership for assessment and program review activities for the division.
- Providing leadership in the development and implementation of new health professions programs that current and future labor markets will sustain.
- Assisting the Workforce Development program in meeting the needs of business and industry.
- Managing the division budget.
- Convening division meetings.
- Promoting the integration of technology into teaching and learning.
- Leading faculty in their efforts to increase student retention, graduation rates and job placement.
- Performing other duties as assigned
- Current unrestricted RN license in Virginia.
- Master’s degree in nursing or nursing education from an accredited college or university.
- At least 2 years’ experience as a registered nurse.
- Knowledge of external state and national agency regulations and accreditation agency standards pertaining to nursing, allied health, and emergency medical services.
- Superb people skills.
- Knowledge of emerging trends in nursing, allied health, and emergency medical services.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to community college philosophy and student success initiatives.
- Successful postsecondary teaching and/or administrative experience.
- Experience with recruiting, selecting, evaluating, mentoring, and supervising faculty and/or other personnel.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Commitment to online learning and innovative use of technology for instruction.
- Knowledge of course development and curriculum design.
- Knowledge of strategic planning and budgeting.
- Knowledge of the importance of assisting the college’s Workforce Development unit to meet the needs of business and industry.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Solid organizational skills.
- Successful experience working in teams to build consensus and accomplish tasks.
- Ability to cultivate and maintain positive relationships with all internal and external college constituencies.
- Energetic leadership with high ethical standards and a commitment to excellence and integrity.
Three current letters of recommendation are required.
- Experience with college-high school dual enrollment instructional programs.
- Experience with managing productivity requirements.
- Experience with program review and assessment.
- Experience with emergency medical services programs.
- Experience with ACEN, AHIMA, AAPC, and CAAHEP/CoAEMSP accreditations.
Go to https://jobs.vccs.edu/postings/57500 to view the full job posting and/or to apply.
The Virginia Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.