Chief Operations Officer
Chief Operations Officer
Retirement Services Manager Senior
The Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA) is a lifetime income, cost-sharing retirement plan for Minnesota public employees.
We serve over 440,000 current and former public employees from 2,100 governmental agencies and pay monthly benefits to more than 120,000 retirees, disabled members, and survivors of deceased members. Our members are social workers, firefighters, nurses, police officers, correctional officers, snowplow drivers, attorneys, and paraprofessionals. The services they provide and the work they do make our communities better.
Join our team!
About the Opportunity:
This position provides executive control and oversight to approximately two-thirds of the agency’s personnel. The incumbent will direct and coordinate the business operations of the association by providing strategic direction to one division managers, three department directors, and a project team and report accomplishments to the PERA Executive Team and the PERA Board of Trustees.
This position is eligible for a schedule that includes some teleworking.
Bachelor's degree in organizational management, public administration, business administration, or an equivalent field AND at least five years of successful experience that demonstrates the ability to:
- Provide strong leadership and interpersonal relationship skills to organize, motivate, direct and empower staff to achieve organizational goals; change management; resolve conflict; and to innovate and promote service improvements and efficiencies;
- Manage a large number of personnel and large budgets;
- Develop meaningful measurements to forecast workloads and increasing or declining resources needs;
- Develop techniques and procedures for accomplishing goals and objectives and to oversee, direct and implement major project initiatives;
- Apply laws, rules, regulations and/or policies that govern internal and external activities, processes and systems;
- Demonstrate proficiency with software to create reports, spreadsheets, and presentation materials.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Master's degree or certification in organizational management, project management, pension plan policy, public administration, business administration, or an equivalent field.
- Knowledge and experience of public pension system administration including Minnesota statutes, federal laws, regulations and actuarial fundamentals as they relate to the administration of retirement benefits.
Requires occasionally lifting and/or carrying such articles as file folders, ledgers, and small tools. Although a sedentary job is defined as one which involves sitting, a certain amount of movement is often necessary in carrying out job duties.
It is the policy of the Retirement Systems of MN that all employees submit to a background investigation prior to employment. The background check may consist of the following components:
- SEMA4 Records Check (applies to current and past State employees only)
- Criminal History Check
- Employment Reference Check
- Social Security and Address Verification
- Education Verification
- Driver's License Check
**The Retirement Systems will not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
Why Work for Us:
The State of Minnesota also has over 100 state agencies, so the possibilities of serving our great state through a multitude of programs and roles are endless! The State of Minnesota also has our own Enterprise Talent Development department to keep your skills and knowledge sharp. You may also qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness, which forgives the remaining balance of your student loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments!
What’s also great about this job is the competitive wage and comprehensive benefits package including low cost/high value medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, retirement plan, health care savings plan, generous vacation and sick leave,
paid holidays, and numerous tax-deferred benefit options (e.g., 457B investment plan, long and short-term disability plans, etc.). Benefits offered are:
- Medical and dental insurance
- Life insurance
- 11 paid holidays per year
- Parental leave
- Pension and retirement saving plan
- Vacation and Sick leave
- Long and short term disability insurance
HOW TO APPLY:
Job Posting Number: 55567
Posting Closes: 5/25/22