Business Development Specialist
The George Mason University, Executive and Professional Education (EPE) invites applications for a Business Development Specialist (BDS). George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About the Position:
The Business Development Specialist is responsible for providing ongoing client relationship and sales outreach to the Continuing Professional Education marketplace. Reporting to the Director of Business Development, the BDS will work closely with various departments (Mason Colleges, Marketing, Finance, Admissions, Purchasing, Legal) to align education solutions and generate revenue and increased enrollment from client partner organizations. Must have a full understanding of our range of third-party partnerships and work effectively with those partners in developing collaborative go-to-market strategies and tactics.
Responsible for sourcing, closing and contracting for group sales that support the overall revenue targets for the department, in partnership with both CPE vendors and Mason colleges.
- Build a pipeline of clients interested in custom learning and specialized training solutions using CRM tools to document sales activities that include lead qualification, needs analysis, sales presentation, budget management, pricing plans and Request for Proposal (RFP) management;
- Serve as point of contact leading long sales cycle to include proposal development, administering client agreements, coordinating key stakeholders within GMU and external third-party vendors to determine if existing portfolio can fulfill client objectives;
- Conduct research on local market trends and competitive activities; develop proposals, contracts and pricing with an aim of 40% revenue share or greater;
- Manage inquiries, setup email campaigns to generate leads, and design sales material;
- Attend webinars, industry events, seminars and conferences, etc.;
- Identify, prospect and pursue business relationships with established and new clients in various industries (targets corporations, nonprofit, federal and local government organizations) to promote GMU professional development programs and services;
- Cultivate and sign profitable contracts for our training products and services;
- Oversee consultants and vendors who may support CPE business development; and
- Coordination with the Partnership Manager team, provide PMs information about upcoming partnerships, contract details, initial calendar plans and monthly check-ins for the first 6 months of a new partnership, as well as post-course student experience surveys.
Responsible for sourcing, closing and contracting bundled sales for existing and new OE programs. In partnership with Partnership Managers, find opportunities for the purchase of seats in previously scheduled programs.
- Market to and engage with employers and L&D functions seeking to purchase training services at group rates;
- Develop contracts and discounts that support our margin and revenue targets;
- Communicate clearly with Partnership Manager before deals are completed, and during the hand-off process to ensure successful customer experience; and
- Coordination with the Partnership Manager team, provide PMs information about upcoming partnerships, contract details, initial calendar plans and monthly check-ins for the first 6 months of a new partnership as well as post-course student experience surveys.
Support CPE in engaging Colleges, Partners and other entities interested in developing new offerings in cooperation with CPE.
- Ideate both proactively and reactively with vendors and providers of training and professional development services;
- Coordinate internal support services to effectively manage client business goals; establish contracts and revenue sharing and other profit-sharing approaches to support CPE commercial goals;
- Work effectively with finance marketing and operational functions in CPE to add new programs to the unit;
- Work effectively with university colleges and vendors to ensure the new ideas fit with existing university level offerings;
- Oversee the execution of new employer partnerships and maintenance of existing partnerships through project planning and implementation;
- Facilitate, coordinate and ensure effective communication cross-departmentally, between teams and with key vendor partners to ensure broad based understanding of prospective clients’ business objectives. Work with the Program Management team to assist with supportive material, coordinating implementation, transferring project responsibilities, ensuring smooth handoff and on-time deliverables after securing agreements; and
- Communicate regularly and directly with clients to evaluate satisfaction and value delivery.
- Ability to sell educational program offerings including senior client presentations, sales material development, opportunity/pipeline management, pricing, and contracting;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, complex collaborations, and client requirements on an ongoing basis;
- Working knowledge of private and public sector clients and L&D departments, to drive recruitment and partnership opportunities;
- Ability to take insight from clients and translate them to clear business objectives and deliverables; listen for needs, pain points and desired outcomes aligned to CPE offerings and capabilities (consultative sales); and
- Ability to prepare and negotiate contracts.
- BS/BA preferred;
- Knowledge of training and education for adult and professional learners from work experience or formal education;
- Demonstrated experience in promoting and executing professional development programs in a university environment, national training organizations or similar experience;
- Demonstrated experience in identifying and delivering sizable revenue contracts;
- Demonstrated experience with preparing all elements of a proposal, including responses to RFPs, RFIs, price quotes, etc.; and
- Demonstrated experience with a Customer Relationship Management system and managing an effective prospect recruitment pipeline.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 01330z at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.